Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Lentil and Veggie Soup

Lentil soup is one of those things I can love or be totally indifferent about.  I like mine thick, and with the lentils falling apart.  This recipe is really easy, and freezes well.  I usually double it so I have lots left over.  I'll post the recipe here as it was published in Eating Alive, but will say I usually have a much heavier hand when it comes to the seasonings.  I add cumin and turmeric, and add more of each spice to taste.

Since I can't have wheat crackers, I like to eat this with crushed rice cakes or rice crackers.  Yum!

Ingredients:

4 cups water or stock
1 cup brown lentils (I've used other colours too with good results)
4-6 stalks celery, chopped
2 carrots, sliced
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. wheat-free tamari sauce (see Tamari Baked Salmon for info on tamari)
2 Tbsp. butter or oil
3 tsp. parsley
1 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. each: basil, oregano, thyme
1/8 tsp. cayenne red pepper
Several dashes of kelp
1/2 tsp. dill weed (optional)

Bring the lentils, vegetables and water or stock to a boil on high heat, then simmer for 1 hour on low heat or until the lentils are very tender.  Add the remaining ingredients and simmer another 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Keeps 7 days in the fridge or may be frozen for later use.

Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment